Saturday, June 24, 2006

Talking 'bout a revolution(ary)...

With all that World Cup predictery, I thought it was time to put money where mouth resides. 33-1 seemed like just too good to be true in a two 'oss race, so we laid some cash on Mexico to take the Argentines by a score of 2-1. And, blimey, those Pancho Villa revolutionary sorts almost made us a bit richer. Almost. But, when it comes to taking on the bookies, almost's not enough. Again, there's only one winner where gambling's concerned. Keep your cash in your pockets, kittens. No such wild odds where England and Ecuador are concerned, so there'll be no money heading to bluesq.com, but I predict a 2-1 victory for the damn English and their rioting fans. Which, given my recent form, should secure a quarter final place for Ecuador.

Wandered into the park at the end of our street to watch a bit of a music festival taking place. Bit of a low turnout, hopefully demonstrating to the organisers that it's all fine and dandy and extremely worthwhile and worthy of oodles of credit to put on a big event but that they'll fall down every time without massive - and I mean massive - amounts of publicity. Parks on the other side of the city usually have the monopoly on these more contemporary events so it was nice that rock 'n' roll and lots of 30-something graf writers turned up on the doorstep but, given the low numbers and the apparent apathy that exists here in the east, maybe the west is where it should stay.

Reading: Jerry Stahl - I, Fatty. Listening: The Guillemots - From the Cliffs.

3 comments:

Benjamin said...

Hiya Dave. I ended up getting involved in the organisation side of this. What you say is spot on. Posters, big posters, being what they/we should have gone for.

I have to say I thought East Park was a delightful venue and the vibe was very positive. I really enjoyed my day in your half of the city x

Dave W said...

Power to you Ben for attempting to bring it to the people. Be nice if it could become a regular fixture and the crowds build 'n' build?

Benjamin said...

I think it's very possible that they'll be back at East Park next year. Publicity and promotion required. Good point.