Thursday, October 26, 2006

Front page...

Having spent five tortuous years working for the local rag I've grown somewhat indifferent about bylines and seeing my name and myself in print. But I'll always have a soft spot for my first appearance in the Hull Daily Mail, or, rather, The Daily Mail, as it was known back on May 3, 1972. While inquiries were looking into the Ibrox disaster, miners were choking to death and a bid to solve "the national container crisis in Britain's ports" was taking place in Hull, I was dragged on to the roof of the Mail along with my dance teacher and my partner Michaela (where is she now?) for a photo shoot after taking home some rather impressive silverware from a ballroom dancing competition in Bridlington. We were both six and, having battled through the rounds against older, wiser under-10s, we were glorious winners of the modern and Latin American sections. Pretty impressive, huh? And wasn't I a lovely little lad? Five years later I had retired. You've got to get out while you're at the top of your game, eh? Just to clarify, the 'Boy had knives at gang fight' headline to our left was nothing to do with me. Honest.

3 comments:

Stephen Newton said...

Didin't you used to have some warning here about being useful in a fight? Perhaps that headline's what started that.

Dave W said...

Well, as you know, because Sophie Ellis Bextor told you, it's murder on the dancefloor and you have to be tough out there. It's not a sport for lightweights who can't defend themselves.

Benjamin said...

Yes, you look a very handsome young gentleman.

Witty stuff, Dave. I also like these colourful little boxes you have under each post.