Wednesday, November 03, 2004

4.17 update: That's that, then. Kerry concedes defeat. So, Americans, how do you feel? How do you sleep? I know it's not all of you but, geez, it's plenty. Decent Americans, flee your country. Come round to ours for a cuppa and a chat.

What's it got to do with me?

Is this some kind of bad joke? Imbecilic war-mongering Bush (almost, a few wranglings aside) re-elected? Oh Americans, what have you done? I want to find out, in a few hours, that a miracle has happened. That Kerry is president. But it looks unlikely. Woah, Kerry wins Wisconsin. Too little too late? Hang your heads in shame, damn Yankees, with your f**ked up undemocratic electoral system and for the instability and havoc you have imposed on the world.

At times like this, I like to turn to Morrissey...

America/your head's too big/because America/your belly's too big and I love you/I just wish you'd stay where you is/in America/the land of the Free, they said and of opportunity/in a Just and a Truthful way but where the President is never black, female or gay and until that day you've got nothing to believe/in America/you know where you can shove your hamburger and don't you wonder why in Estonia they say "hey you, you big fat pig"/"you big fat pig" "you big fat pig"-? Steely-blue eyes/ with no love in them scan the world and a humourless smile with no warmth within/greets the world and I/have got nothing/to offer you just this heart deep and true which you say you don't need See with your eyes touch with your hands - please know in your soul hear through your ears - please for haven't you me with you now? and I love you I love you I love you

In other news, it's writing workshops tonight, and I'm getting excited. But, like the disorganised fool I am, I have left my trendy writer's clothes at home so need to go out and buy a delightful wardrobe lest I look like a total uptight fool in my Asda shirt and tie combo.

No comments: