Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Christmas was the best, it really was. All we could eat, the coolest pressies (check out M's ring finger, romance fans), kids with big smiles on their faces (we got it sooooo right this time around), plenty of drink flowing. A good old fashioned shindig, really, without the Eastenders' 'all hell breaks loose over the turkey' routine. Mind you, we'd have had trouble causing a spat, as we dined in Hull's rather swanky Venn restaurant. Worth every penny. We had Christmas 2 round at ours on Boxing Day, which was equally scintillating.

But....here I am, back at the desk. I feel instantly depressed. Surely, when you feel physically sick as you get closer to your place of work, it's a sign that it's time to quit. Yet life on the outside, for me at least, is good. I just found out that me old mucker who opted to spend Christmas in Thailand is safe and sound, and, heck, I can't tell you how grateful I am for that. I've also realised this Christmas that I'm surrounded by love - kids, M, me old mum, lots of other people. And I managed to finish penning a radio play yesterday, which will probably never be aired but at least it's done. I guess when 'quakes and tsunamis are taking so many lives there's little that people like me should be complaining about. I got it good in so many ways. May you all rest in peace.

Did anyone see ITN's coverage of the tragedy last night? It was straight out of The Day Today. John Irvine revelling in the sheer horror of it all, over-indulging himself with a spot of am-dram and, worst of all, at the end of the show Nicholas Owen smiling as if it's just another day at the office. And I notice that news editors still love to tell us that "British tourists have died in this tragedy" - in a way that suggests that British lives are of more value than those of Indonesians, Thais, Indians, Malaysians, Myanmarians, Bangladeshis, Maldovians, Somalians, Tanzanians and Kenyans. Hand control of ITN straight to Chris Morris, he'd do a much more sympathetic job.

Words: Bill Hicks - Love All The People. Sounds: The Distillers - Coral Fang. Vision: Ichi The Killer (Anime). Dig deeper!! #1. Dig deeper!! #2. And here's why.

No comments: