Thursday, June 23, 2005

Having realised I was completely wrong about Jon Ronson and that it had, actually, been the greatest night of my life, I thought I'd email Jon and tell him that and, while I was at it, ask him the question I was dying to ask on the night but didn't have the bottle to. While I was at it, I declared my love for him. He is a marvellous man who answered beautifully if not comprehensively, demonstrated his e-mail savvy (bw= best wishes) and I feel that, in the right circumstances, we could become firm friends. Ladies and gentlemen, I give to you the Jon Ronson correspondence...

On Wednesday, June 22, 2005, at 01:38 PM, Windass, Dave wrote:

Hi Jon

I just wanted to drop you a line to say how much I enjoyed your reading in Pave, Princes Avenue, Hull the other night. It was a very hot and sticky evening but, somehow, you made us forget our dehydration and our silliness at not getting enough beer in to last 90 minutes and made us laugh with your video clips and readings. Especially liked the stuff about your son and Santa and the Lapland business. Found it very moving, in fact.

One thing has been puzzling me, though. Don't take this the wrong way but how did you "start your journalistic career as an award winning journalist", as it says on your website? How does one achieve that apparent instant success? I ask this as a regional columnist who has never won any awards of any kind. But I'm not bitter, oh no.

Look forward to you response.

Btw, I'm not planning on stalking you or anything.

Lots of love

Dave Windass

Hull Daily Mail

On Wednesday, June 22, 2005, at 01:42 PM, Ronson, Jon wrote:

Hi Dave

An excellent question may I say - what it means is that I won an award for my first proper journalistic job, which was as a columnist for Time Out magazine.

Dave, was it you who wrote that piece about me in the taxi? If so, thank you. It was lovely. if not, then why wasn't it you!

I'm really glad you enjoyed the night

bw

jon

No comments: