Friday, June 24, 2005

Spent last night in the company of the former editor of New Scientist, Nigel Calder, who explained Einstein's universe to me - and several others that don't possess a BSc and weren't interested in being the cleverest person in the room - via the clever use of an apple and a great 1970s video clip featuring not one but two Peter Ustinovs. I certainly know more than I did before I went in. Hull's former biggest Wu Tang Clan fan Pete was there, a very healthy crowd (must be the apples) and a woman who told me that she "blew the whistle on Capper Pass", that I should do what I could to "save Hull Screen", which is certainly a good cause, and that she hoped the gang of kids squealing outside the library "aren't the same bunch that snapped [her] son's windscreen wipers off". Then she moved to a different seat. All in all a good couple of hours, preceded by a jungle curry down our favourite city centre Thai restaurant. I'm hoping that my new knowledge of the theory of relativity will be useful in a pub quiz one day.

Listening: The Ruts - Babylon's Burning

No comments: