Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Danielle's birthday today. She is 15 (how'd that happen?). Their birthdays are difficult for me to deal with now that I no longer live with them. Just fleeting moments grabbed rather than a full day spent in their company. But maybe I'm deluding myself. Surely I always went off to work and missed the bulk of the day. I delivered presents earlier. Tonight we - just father and daughter - will dine on contemporary American food at Hull's Fudge Cafe Restaurant, which should be fun. We will talk and laugh and I will look into her eyes and see the past, the present and the future. I will keep from her how emotional moments like this make me feel. Post-nosh I'll settle the bill and we'll take a slow walk down Princes Avenue before I drop her off at her home, giving her a hug, a peck on the cheek and checking she's enjoyed her day before watching her close the door on me. I am incredibly proud of my daughter and the way she handles life. She is also becoming one of my best friends and I hope it stays that way.

Head candy: Bob Dylan - Forever Young

No comments: