Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Back at the desk. Christmas ends quickly around these parts. It's as boring as you'd expect, with the monotony only broken by Pippa's friend Kane and the news that a district office is closing and an edition of the newspaper is being laid to rest. The atmosphere is one of doom, gloom and misery. Me? I feel chipper. I got lots of nice toys for Christmas and I look forward to driving home in six inches of snow at 20mph to play with them. Should be back at the house by 8pm. On the way in I drive across a lovely stretch of pasture land, "popular", as the paper's extraordinarly insightful website recently pointed out, "with cows". It was hard to see where the road ended and the pasture started. Hence, the car in front of me drove on the wrong side of the road and caused some serious havoc to oncoming vehicles. On foot at lunch I went to look for sturdy shoes as the ones I'm wearning have zero tread on them and are only suitable for the hottest of summer's days. After sliding from shoe shop to shoe shop I gave up as I couldn't find what I was looking for, thinking briefly that, as council workmen were busy hurling shovels full of grit at unsuspecting pedestrians, it didn't matter anyway as the snow would be melted soon enough. And promptly fell over.

No comments: