Friday, July 21, 2006

Watching the wheels...

Expected to spend much of the day working on the largest council estate in Europe. But when I walked into the building I found a group of women bead-making where I expected to see three artists and a laptop. Ah well. I was invited to stay and do a bit of bead-making and it did look very interesting and tempting, if a little fiddly for my fat fingers. I was also given a look at some exemplary plate painting. I headed back to the car and realised I had six hours of life to spare. So, instead of compiling a magazine, as planned, I ended up in the garden and nurtured plans to take my bike for a quick spin in the sunshine. Until, that is, I realised we'd chained two bikes together with heavy duty bike locks when we moved house and I had no idea where the keys for said locks where. So I headed to mother's, in the car, to rifle her fridge and freezer and have a cup of tea and confirm plans for a barbecue in her garden on Sunday before sitting in the sun back at home reading a book about a bike journey, instead of getting anywhere near going on one.

2 comments:

Stephen Newton said...

Don't want to get into a my council estate's bigger than yours, but I thought Wythenshawe was Europe's biggest.

Dave W said...

Ah, I have, quite possibly, been misinformed. It's one of those things the HDM used to print with annoying regularity and I've probably fallen into the trap of believing it. How do we measure such things anyway? Population or amount of houses? There are a lot of houses on the estate standing empty these days.