Sunday, December 09, 2007

Binary 101010...

As we all know, the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is 42. It took the computer Deep Thought 7½ million years to compute and check that this was indeed the answer, and Douglas Adams a few minutes staring out of the window to come to the same conclusion. So you can't argue with the answer, it's definitely 42.

Today I am 42.

We still haven't worked out what the question is and, even at my mightily old age, I certainly don't have even 1% of the answers to the big questions that you're supposed to have at your disposal once you've hit this ripe age. No, all I know for sure is that I know nothing.

Like a lot of freaky geeky people that turned to The Hitch Hiker's Guide To To The Galaxy for some comedy relief back at the end of the 1970s, the number 42 has cropped up every now and then as I've lived my life heading towards the big number. It is a number that has induced many a wry smile when I've heard it and the odd tear (I won't go into the details).

So here I am. 42. It feels important. And I still haven't grown up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very Happy Birthday to you!

Mike

More Chips (with gravy) on my shoulder said...

happy, snappy birthday greets, dude x