Friday, December 28, 2007

I wanna know have you ever seen the rain...

Ah, what a wonderful Christmas. Presents and good times galore. Hope yours went well too.


But back to the business of moaning and groaning...

When I first perused Hull's new shopping experience St Stephen's, I thought I'd started to lose the plot. Here was a retail development that reckoned it brought the High Street, well, indoors, under the cover of a zillion sheets of curvy glass. Which lends one to believe that the weather won't be joining you as you nip in and out of H&M, Game and the mighty Tesco. Yet, as well as being underwhelmed by the amount of retail units that had been let back in September, I could have sworn, as I mingled with the madding crowds, that rain was hitting my body. The shopping continued and I marked the odd rain drop down to my ever-muddled brain playing tricks on me.
Just three months on, though, and it would appear that the rain was indeed entering this steel and glass structure. Today, a small army of chaps in flourescent jackets were mopping the slippery shiny floor like crazy demons. They don't build these things like they used to, eh? I do hope it came with a guarantee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cynics might suggest that having 'developed' Island Wharf and then St Stephen's the next effort at producing a 'cock up' will be the old Fruit Market. We seem to have lost the ability to produce functional buildings.