Friday, May 16, 2008

Welcome to the blank charade...

I had the misfortune to read a comp copy of the Daily Mail today, and found, within its tightly packed, appallingly designed and scaremongeringly sensationalist pages a warning headed: Why no child is safe from the sinister cult of emo that built a case against teenagers wearing dark clothes, wrist bands from Claire's Accessories and long fringes and listening to Blink 182 (!!!) on the grounds that they may commit suicide like Hannah Bond, who, the Mail suggests, would have been alive now if she hadn't discovered emo and become addicted to the internet's evil Bebo. A tragic case indeed but the Mail does Hannah's memory no favours. The only thing they get right is the sentence: "No doubt many adults would ask: 'So what?'" I must remember to have a chat with my skinny jean fixated teenage son, if I can get to him through his lengthy fringe, in order to demonstrate my new Mail-inlfuenced knowledge, without which I would never have known that "Emos like guitar-based rock with emotional lyrics". Dear oh dear.

No comments: