Tuesday, August 26, 2008

(very) late breaking news...

Thatcher has dementia - bonkers daughter Carol has finally gone public about her mother's condition, which she has, apparently, been suffering from for the last eight years. Which must be nice for the Magster - who can no longer differentiate between the Falklands war and the Bosnian conflict nor remember the miners' strike, mass unemployment and all the other havoc she wreaked on the nation. Good leader my arse. She might forget the state she got this nation into, the people and communities she consigned to the scrap heap and the enormous gulf she opened up between the haves and the have nots. But we should never forget.

In the words of Crass...

Onward Thatcher's soldiers, it's your job to fight...
"And, you know, I don't really give a toss if the cause is wrong or right,
My political neck means more to me than the lives of a thousand men,
If I felt it might be of use to me I'd do it all over again.
The Falklands was really a coverup job to obscured the mistakes I've made,
And you know I think gamble I took could certainly be said to have paid.
With unemployment at an all-time high and the country falling apart
I, Winston Thatcher, reign supreme in this great nations' heart."

(Sheepfarming in the Falklands, 1982)

That is Thatcher's Britain built on national pride,
Built on national heritage and the bodies of those who died
To wave the flag on the Falklands, to protect us from the Irish hordes,
To support the rich in their difficult task of protecting themselves from the poor
Yes, this is Thatcher's Britain, so let's increase the strength of the police
Let's expand the military, let's all arm for peace
Let's suppress all opposition, let's keep the people down
Let's resurrect past histories for the glory of the crown

(Gotcha, 1982)




No comments: