Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Reveal yourself...

Dear blog, I might have a bit of time to update you now. I promise to not leave you to rot like those other bloggers that come and, once they've had a bit of press coverage, go. How dare they, the ephemeral buggers? Besides, I've just sorted out the blogroll, so I owe you a couple of entries to make that hour worth the effort.

Having written something sizeable, I'm back on the reading. Yukio Mishima's Forbidden Colours has been hanging about on the shelf screaming 'read me' for a few months. So, no longer able to ignore its white Penguin Classics spine, I took the plunge this morning. Two chapters in and I'm having a surprising amount of fun with Mr seppuku and look forward to slurping on all 429 of its pages. I've also already found a quote to throw in for discussion at writing workshops:

"The process in which a writer is compelled to counterfeit his true feelings is exactly the opposite of that in which the man of society is compelled to counterfeit his. The artist disguises in order to reveal; the man of society disguises in order to conceal."

Yukio Mishima, Forbidden Colours (1951)

2 comments:

More Chips (with gravy) on my shoulder said...

While I'm delighted to have survived your blog roll cull, surely living seven miles from your fair city isn't enough to justify "over there" status? out there, perhaps?

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to getting more information about this topic, don't worry about negative opinions.