Monday, January 25, 2010

Open for old business...


Hull History Centre - the new £10m pound home for the city's archives - opens for business today. So I expect that lots of old folk will be heading there to look at old stuff and will be helped by the rather eccentric but knowledgable folk that staff the place. It's a far cry from where a lot of this old stuff was held, which I blogged about a couple of years ago when I got my hands on the city charter, and I'm looking forward to sticking my nose in, donning white gloves and grappling with some historical documents at the earliest opportunity. Not least because the local paper highlighted at the weekend that, when some of the land upon which this new centre has been constructed was, back in the 19th century, sold by 'the father of football' Ebenezer Cobb Morley, it was to "someone called Windass". "It is not known," the HDM goes on, "if there is any connection to Hull City hero Dean." Nor, for that matter, whether there's any connection to yours truly. I need to know!
Naturally, being a nosy bleeder, I tried to catch a preview as I trotted past the centre the other day. Staff were, understandably, busy popping dozens of bound volumes on shelves, and I attempted to take a photo thru the glass. What I got was something a tad odd but a little interesting. The reflection is of Hull's Central Fire Station and, to the right, a little bit of me.

No comments: